Friday, May 7, 2010

Recent Reading

If you've read my previous book posts, you'll notice I don't stick particular genre when it comes to reading. I'm drawn to fiction, but that's one of my only requirements. 

Eat, Pray, Love and My Sister's Keeper were two of the most recent books I've read, and while not exactly related, those two babies are practically peanut butter and jelly as compared to my two recent reads.

First up... The Associate by John Grisham.
Before MrMarried and I took our little trip to New Orleans, we were having dinner at my parents when I realized I didn't have a book to take with me. Although I've never read Grisham, both of my parents are fans, and my mom gave me The Associate for the trip.

Set it Pittsburgh and NYC, the book follows the story of a recent Law School grad, a sticky situation, and blackmail. The ending leaves quite a bit to the imagination, and there were several loose ends that were never explained in the book, but overall the story is entertaining, definitely a page turner, and perfect for a plane with the short chapters.

I could see the story being turned into a movie, but then again, every movie I've seen where I read the book first turns out to be disappointing. One exception is The Devil Wears Prada. The movie was exceptionally well acted, and was able to hold it's own when compared to the book that inspired the film... but that's another post.

Next on my recent "reads" list was Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life
This audio book was passed on to me from a friend who drives everywhere for work. She always listening to audiobooks to keep her entertained while she is in the car. I'd never say no to a free audiobook, so I thought what the heck?

Holy moly, Chelsea is one strange (and funny) bird.

Her stories are NOT, I repeat NOT, appropriate to listen to when you have children in the car, and if my mother was listening along with me, Chelsea's stories would make me blush in front of her. Regardless, they are still hilarious. I can't recommend that you run out and buy this immediately, but if  friend offers you the book or the audiobook, you are in for a few laughs....if.... you aren't disgusted first.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment