Monday, June 7, 2010

No, I Don't Have Writer's Block and Thoughts on Uncle Sam

Whew. It's been far too long since I last blogged.

No, I don't have writer's block.

For today, I just need to get my fingers moving on these keys, and get back into my routine that I've been missing.

I could blame it on "being busy"-- but, who the heck ISN'T busy?! We all are. I can't remember the last time I wasn't "busy".

I could blame it on being at work from 8-6 each day, not being able to look at my computer for another second after I leave work, and a renewed sense of wanting to spend quality time with my husband when I get home (read: NO computers as distractions) But, I'm not going to blame it on that either.

Regardless, blogging has fallen by the wayside. It doesn't mean that I haven't been "writing" blog posts in my head. In fact, I write posts in my head all the time! I write recipe posts, and tales about the inappropriate things my boss says to me each day. But, there has been one post that I've dying to get into words--a post about the 1st Time Home Buyers Tax Rebate.

MrMarried and I purchased our home in August 2009, and filed an amended 2008 tax return (yes, you can file a return for the year before you bought your house. Strange, right?) to indicate our interest in receiving the tax credits made available to first time home owners-- Up to $8000, or 10% of the purchase price of your home-- whichever is less.

We filed the amended return in August 2009- got married in September 2009, and JUST received our check last week. 10 months, my friends.

I realize there is an unimaginable amount of paperwork associated with all the returns that are filed each year, but 10 months seems a little long, doesn't it? I could have gotten pregnant and had a 1 month old in the same amount of time. Sheesh!

If you applied for the rebate, know that you qualify for it, and are still waiting for your refund... don't give up! There were several incidents where I know the government was hoping that we would throw up our hands and give up, like--

1. Requesting the SAME documents be sent to them THREE times
2. Hanging up when we called to check on the return
3. Threatening letters from the tax advocate service implying that we hadn't complied with instructions

Really a friendly process, right?

Guess what Uncle Sam? I'm up for a challenge-- and when you tell me that you'll relieve my tax burden by $8000, I'm really up for the challenge. You'd better believe that I am going to climb every mountain, send back every form, and jump through every hoop you put in front of me. So thank you, Uncle Sam, for the challenge, and the check too.... even though it was 8ish months late.

Where has your persistence paid off?

1 comment:

  1. That's the typical government time frame for you. I'm glad you finally got it!

    And don't worry about being busy... we all are! That's what makes our blogs interesting. If we didn't do things, we'd have nothing to write about!

    ReplyDelete